Tuesday, August 17, 2010

AGBM President Richards Receives Diagnosis

The following report, shared with his permission, is from AGBM president Joel Richards, who is pastor of the LaLoma Grace Brethren Church in Modesto, California. Joel has been struggling with throat and voice issues for several years. Your prayers for Joel's treatment and recovery and for his wife, Jane, and family would be appreciated.

Well I had my surgery. Unfortunately, the pathology report following my surgery revealed that I have cancer in one of my vocal cords. Somewhere in the last year there was a dramatic change in the nature of the plaque that was in my throat. The doctor was unable to remove it all because some of it is now attached to the vocal cord. That is the part that now needs to be dealt with.

Thankfully, the prognosis for eliminating this cancer is good. This cancer is in a very early stage and radiation is normally very successful. I will be seeing an oncologist and I have been told that they want to start treatments as soon as possible.

It goes without saying that I wasn’t expecting this. There may be an upside. My surgeon said that the likelihood of the other stuff returning is minimal. I told him that would be an answer to my prayers that I wouldn’t have to have any more of these surgeries. I wasn’t expecting that the answer might come in the form of cancer!

I would appreciate your prayers.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.H.S. - Brother in the Lord said...

I read your diagnosis and I hope that you did not mean at the end of your blog that God used cancer to answer your prayer. God is good, He does not put sickness on people, that is the work of the devil John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. Stand in Faith against cancer and believe God for a total complete healing.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, my comments were taken as if they were meant to be theological. That is too bad. I was thinking humorously and ironically. That's all.

Secondly, is my cancer outside of God's knowledge and His control of EVERY situation? I think not. How all this fits together is at times a mystery that simply needs to be left in the hands of a God who says that He is working all things together for good.

For me, right now I am asking God to heal me and I understand he may even need to use radiation! (My humor)

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home