Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Richard Bell Health Update

Richard Bell, pastor of Apple Valley Community Church, a Grace Brethren church in Winchester, Virginia, has been battling a particularly virulent form of lymphona. Here is a current update from Richard so you know how to offer informed prayers on behalf of Richard and Nancy:

I was in the hospital last week for three days of chemotherapy. This was the first of this particular type of treatment--there will be several more. In the e-mail in July I projected that I would get about 4 and 1/2 months before the cancer started growing again; it started growing again in 6 weeks.

We went six weeks before starting the current treatment--the weather was nice and I was feeling great. Then I came down with a viral infection , another two week delay; after that I had skin cancer removed, another 10-day delay. This type of treatment uses different chemicals--ones I have never had before. I will probably have the second round in mid-December.

My oncologist has said that I am "amazing," "tough as nails," and "beyond explanation," due to the way I have handled the chemotherapy.

Nancy and I are doing well in the circumstances. We are neither depressed or discouraged about the situation. I am still resting on Habakkuk 3:17-19.

Thanks for you prayers,
Richard

P.S. This type of cancer, "Mantle Cell Lymphoma," was listed on the Social Security Administrations list of the top 50 diseases in which medical disability will be automatically approved within one week of applying. I guess you could say it is nice to be on the top 50 of something. If I had my way, I would have chosen a different top 50 list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home