Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SOA(jr) Now in In-Boxes

The latest edition of AGBM president Joel Richards' electronic newletter, SOA(jr) is now hitting the in-boxes. Here is his president's message. To see the entire letter, contact Joel to put you on the mailing list--his address is jerichards@sbcglobal.net


I am heartbroken for the families in Pennsylvania and horrified by the actions of a truly sick man. If I am not mistaken this was the third school incident in less than a week where someone died or was left for dead. We may be having to change the idiom from he went “postal” to he went “educational.” I am not making light of this but it is a mystery to me why things seem to come in groups that have similar overtones.

Ironically, I am preaching a series on prayer. My text on Sunday was Luke 18:1-8. The context that precedes this text is a reminder of what it is going to be like prior to the coming of the Lord. As in the days of Noah, and Lot, so shall it be on the day that the Son of Man is revealed. Relax, I am not about to set a date! However, it is not very difficult to feel like we are in days similar to those of Noah and Lot, and that the Lord could return anytime. When things like this happen it makes me wish the Lord would come even more quickly!

Something else happens, though, in my heart and mind. I am reminded again of the fall of man. Behavior like this baffles the social pundits who believe that man is basically good. They think this is an aberration of the real deal. Wrong. We all know that the doctrine of depravity doesn’t mean we will be as bad as we can, but it does mean we are all capable of some pretty horrible behavior.

As I read my first internet exposure to this tragedy it included a side box that a congressional hearing would take place to ensure this kind of thing would be avoided in the future. If there are lapses in safety, surely fix them. But I really don’t think we need any more policies that are well meaning, but in all reality, won’t get to the core of the issue. So I have another reminder. Preach the Word. Spread the Gospel. Pray for the safety and well being of our communities. Open your heart and your church and show the love of Christ. If Jesus is going to delay His Coming, we are to continue to labor in His name!

And lastly. I sat in a seminar two weeks ago and listened to a top California state police chaplain praising the work of the church in New Orleans. She was deployed to help out and said the churches were phenomenal. So don’t pull in your horns. Keep going to all the world in every way you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home