Monday, September 25, 2006

The Thoughts You Don't Preach

Danny Wright (Greenville, Ohio) has a great post on his blog today about the thoughts that run through a preacher's mind while he's preaching. Here's a sampler--catch the rest at http://caribouyah.blogspot.com/2006/09/thoughts-you-dont-preach.html

The Thoughts You Don't Preach...

It may surprise you to hear that other things run through a pastor's mind while he preaches. There are some who believe preaching is simply studying the text and then letting whatever "the Spirit leads" to come out of your mouth.

Many imagine this to be a more "Spirit-filled" style of preaching, yet I find the battle is not what to say, the battle is knowing what not to say. Could some of it be Spirit filled (absolutely, I believe He drove me to a text I wasn't planning on sharing yesterday morning), but much of it can come from other sources, ranging from soap boxes to attempts to humor the crowd.

Here are the ten thoughts I remember running through my mind, but not out my mouth, while preaching:

10. Hey, my tape measure! Already explained that one.

9. I know you! About a year ago, I spotted a girl from high school. She clearly recognized me too, and even waved (while I'm preaching). I wanted to stop the message and find out if she knew Christ, it didn't seem she did in high school. But I waited until after the service to talk to her and yes, God had miraculously saved her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home