Saturday, December 23, 2006

Pastor Dave Mitchell Facing Heart Surgery

Pastor Dave Mitchell of the Waipio Grace Brethren Church in Mililani, Hawaii, is facing some serious heart surgery, likely within the next several weeks. Here is a portion of his e-mail, sent Friday, which helps us know how to pray for him and Betty Lou:

Many of you have expressed sincere concern for me as I deal with some serious heart problems and I just want to let you know I sense those prayers and appreciate them more than you know. Betty Lou also appreciates the prayers for her during this time. You know it is often harder on the loved ones than the person who is sick, but she too knows where her strength comes from. I have such a wonderful wife.

Yesterday I had a heart cath in preparation for my open heart aortic valve replacement soon and it was discovered I also have an 80 percent blockage in my right coronary artery. I will be having both an aortic valve replacement and bypass at the same time.

What makes this surgery somewhat risky is because of the diabetes and the stroke three months ago from which I have recovered almost completely. The operation has not yet been scheduled, but due to the severity of the situation it probably will be in the next couple of weeks or sooner.

If I have a prayer request, aside from surviving this "mess," it is that whatever happens that I can be a testimony that God's grace is sufficient. I believe one has to be tested to come to that reality with both their head and heart knowledge.

Prognosis: Of course the Lord could choose to take me home with Him, but if all goes right the doc says I can have a normal life again even to the place of lifting weights which has been a 45-year hobby.

I tell people that under all this fat I have a California body, whatever that is now...Ha ! All this so I can be ready for retirement, more preaching, being with family and friends in Indiana and Virginia, and enjoying our grandson Jordan.

Hopefully I will be back with you after all this happens. Thank you once again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave and Betty Lou -

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time... The folks at North Shore Bible Church will be praying for God's glory and your healing, according to His will during this physical trial.

God Bless!

Jack Bown

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home